Mining is one of the traditional sectors in Guyana. EMC has supported small, medium and large-scale operations in gold and bauxite mining, and in the quarrying sector.
EMC’s experience in the mining sector include:
- Conducted Environmental Impact Assessments for large-scale bauxite mining and quarrying operations in the Demerara, Essequibo and Berbice areas.
- Prepared Environmental Management Plans for large-scale gold operations in the Potaro-Siparuni Region; large-scale bauxite mining operations in the Demerara and Berbice areas; and quarrying operations in the Berbice and Essequibo areas.
- Prepared Closure and Decommissioning Plans for bauxite mining operations in the Berbice area.
- Prepared Reclamation Plan for gold mining operations in the Potaro-Siparuni Region.
- Prepared Biodiversity Management Plans for gold mining operations in the Potaro-Siparuni Region.
- Conducted environmental audits for bauxite mining operations in the Demerara area.
- Conducted training programme for bauxite mining operators on environmental awareness, compliance and best practices.
- Currently providing environmental compliance support to gold and bauxite mining and processing operations in the Demerara and Berbice area and Potaro-Siparuni Region.
In addition to providing support to mining operations, EMC has also conducted training for regulators to improve capacity for greater oversight of gold mining operations.