EMC operates the Saxacalli Rainforest Centre, a nature reserve and protected area on the Essequibo River which promotes environmental awareness and biodiversity research. The Centre has hosted students from secondary schools and the University of Guyana.
EMC team members, and in particular it’s Managing Director, Mr. Shyam Nokta have worked extensively to support the establishment and management of Protected Areas in Guyana. Principal contributions of Mr. Nokta include:
- Member of the team for the preparation of the National Strategy for the Establishment of a System of Protected Areas in Guyana.
- Assisted in the preparation of the National Protected Areas legislation and in the establishing of the National Protected Areas Commission. Served as Chair of the Board of the Kaieteur National Park and the first Chair of the Board of the Protected Areas Commission.
- Founding member of the Guyana Marine Turtle Conservation Society and its first Technical Director with responsibility for planning, overseeing and implementing the Society’s programmes and activities for education and awareness, community empowerment, research, and protected areas and coordinating the Shell Beach Protected Areas programme.
- In-Country Representative for Fauna & Flora International with responsibility for coordinating training, capacity building and institutional strengthening for Guyana’s Protected Areas System with focus on Shell Beach.
- In collaboration with an international specialist, assessed Iwokrama’s potential for nomination as a World Heritage Site or Biosphere Reserve.
- Joint Team Member for the preparation of a Management Plan for the Iwokrama forest with focus on the Conservation Area of Iwokrama.
EMC has expanded its capabilities to support Protected Areas Planning and Management in areas such as ranger training, preparation of Parks and Protected Areas Management Plans and conducting Biodiversity Assessments.